Quotations – as of 7/2/2018
32. “When education is beaten by training, civilization dies.” — C.S. Lewis
31. These are from blog 0324_ April 2, 2018_What I Saw at a College Administrators’ Meeting is Alarming_ politics-far-left, social-justice politics — Dr. Patricia Daugherty is president of Eagle Forum of Georgia
Some quotes from Dr. Daugherty’s article:
“This year’s meeting, however, was devoid of such old-school notions. What we got instead was politics-far-left, social-justice politics.
” …The conference website highlighted blog posts with such titles as “Racial Justice & Decolonization Can’t Happen Without Disrupting Monoracism,” “The Costs of Avoiding Discomfort: Addressing White Supremacy in Student Affairs,” and “White People Owning Our Whiteness & Resistance.”
“…There were designated “All-Gender Restrooms” because “[h]istorically, restrooms have been a way to reinforce sex assigned at birth (female/male) and gender (woman/man) identities and expressions, but as an Association, ACPA actively challenges traditional definitions of sex and gender.”
“indoctrination isn’t confined to the classroom.”
“as an Association, ACPA actively challenges traditional definitions of sex and gender.”
“the ‘ACPA Convention Equity and Inclusion Information Booth.’ At this booth one could report any ‘bias incident .’”
“College students need mentors who are more concerned with their developing competence and strength than with which pronouns they use.”
“Now, however, college students are surrounded by adults who live and breathe an extreme political ideology. No more judging people by the content of their character instead of the color of their skin. No more encouraging everyone to come together around their commonalities rather than focusing on every possible difference. No more celebrating the gifts of all people. It was disheartening to see and hear so much stereotyping from people who pride themselves on their inclusiveness.”
” To further divide people during the conference, the schedule included ‘identity caucuses.’ … The caucuses included Arab/Middle Eastern; Asian/Asian American; Biracial/Multiracial/Transracial; Black/African American; International; Latino/a/x; Native, Indigenous, Aboriginal; Pacific Islander; Third Space; and White.
“I have no idea what Third Space is. The program book stated participants should be able to ‘explore a deeper understanding of their own racial/political identities’ and ‘engage with issues of power, privilege, and oppression in order to interrupt dominance.’ Can you imagine these people planning the homecoming parade?”
Quotations — as of 4/7/18
30. From Blog 0320_Massachusetts Becomes Dumber so the Rest of us Can be Smarter_By Robert Holland_Heartland Institute_Feb. 14, 2018
“However, perhaps my favorite of the year in the non-wisdom category came from
Massachusetts state Sen. Michael Barrett (D-Lexington).
“In responding to mounting evidence of the Bay State’s decline from its undisputed number-one perch in K–12 student achievement since replacing its own standards with the Common Core nationalized blueprint, Barrett said the following: “It’s crazy to think that people in Massachusetts should learn more and better content than people in Mississippi. That’s no way to make sure that tide lifts all boats in America.”
“The Lowell Sun delivered an appropriately acerbic editorial response: ‘Barrett and others believe the best way to lift all boats is to drill some holes in this state’s vessel of educational excellence.’ However, give the good senator a bit of credit.
“He did not try to deny the data that clearly show Massachusetts losing its educational edge. Instead, he stood by the progressive credo valuing equality over excellence, even if that means bringing some privileged high achievers down several pegs so that all folks are on one level playing field.”
— Robert Holland (Heartland Institute), February 14, 2018 (Valentine’s Day)
29. Posted November 10, 2017 – in Blog 0265
“All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing”
It doesn’t matter where this quote came from —
It is very true that good men doing nothing, furthers the cause of evil.
Articles that talk about the origin of the above quote:
- Posted 2017-08-22
“Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.” — From George Orwell’s book, 1984
- From Blog 0107 – “Common Core isn’t preparing students very well for college or career, new report says” By Valerie Strauss (June 9, 2016) – Washington Post.com
“A new report that surveys curriculum nationally and reaches thousands of K-12 and college instructors as well as workplace supervisors and employees has some bad news about the Common Core State Standards: Many people in education and the workplace don’t think some of the English Language Arts and math standards — which are being used in most states — are what students and workers need to be successful in college and career.
“The report, issued by ACT Inc., finds:
- There are gaps between some Core standards and what college instructors consider important for students to succeed — especially in the area of writing. For example, middle- and high-school teachers say that they have been emphasizing analyzing source texts and summarizing other authors’ ideas as required by the Core, but college instructors say they value this much less than the “ability to generate sound ideas — a skill applicable across much broader contexts.”
- …Though the Core standards were designed to prepare students for college and career, the survey found that many workplace supervisors and employees believe skills necessary for success are not part of the Core. Specifically, they say that the No. 1 skill that ensures success is “conscientiousness.”
- From Blog 0203_April 2017 Imprimis article-The Left’s War on Free Speech-adaptated from a speech given by Kimberley Strassel_ Citizens United brought back some free speech
“It was at this moment that I had one of those sudden insights as a parent. I realized that my oldest was a constitutional conservative, my middle child a libertarian, and my youngest a socialist with totalitarian tendencies.”
“Then it was the five-year-old’s turn. You could tell she’d been thinking hard about her answer. She fixed both her brother and sister with a ferocious stare and said: “Free speech is that you can say what you want—as long as I like it.”
“my main point today is that we’ve experienced over the past eight years a profound shift in our political culture, a shift that has resulted in a significant portion of our body politic holding a five-year-old’s view of free speech. What makes this shift notable is that unlike most changes in politics, you can trace it back to one day: January 21, 2010, the day the Supreme Court issued its Citizens United ruling and restored free speech rights to millions of Americans.”
- [posted February 2, 2017 – see Blog 0175]
Joseph Goebbels (1897-1945) – “Master propagandist of the Nazi regime and dictator of its cultural life for twelve years.” In 1929 Hitler “appointed him Reich Propaganda Leader of the NSDAP”. http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/joseph-goebbels
NSDAP means: Nazi Party, byname of National Socialist German Workers’ Party, German Nationalsozialistische Deutsche Arbeiterpartei (NSDAP) [https://www.britannica.com/topic/Nazi-Party]
“If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it. The lie can be maintained only for such time as the State can shield the people from the political, economic and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the truth is the greatest enemy of the State.”
- [posted October 13, 2016]
“From each according to his ability, to each according to his need” — [In other words: no person will have a privately-owned business, or privately-owned property — or will own anything. Everybody and everything belong to the State.]
“a slogan that Karl Marx made popular . . . Louis Blanc first used it in 1839, in “The organization of work”, and earlier it is “attributed to the French communist Morelly, who proposed in his 1755 Code of Nature “Sacred and Fundamental Laws that would tear out the roots of vice and of all the evils of a society” including
|I. Nothing in society will belong to anyone, either as a personal possession or as capital goods, except the things for which the person has immediate use, for either his needs, his pleasures, or his daily work. II. Every citizen will be a public man, sustained by, supported by, and occupied at the public expense. III. Every citizen will make his particular contribution to the activities of the community according to his capacity, his talent and his age; it is on this basis that his duties will be determined, in conformity with the distributive laws.|
- [posted Sept. 30, 2016 ]
Simple Definition of Marxism [http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/Marxism]
- : the political, economic, and social theories of Karl Marx including the belief that the struggle between social classes is a major force in history and that there should eventually be a society in which there are no classes
- [posted Sept. 30, 2016] This information below is from http://www.psychquotes.com
Psychiatry’s Views on Education
23a. “Every child in America entering school at the age of five is insane because he comes to school with certain allegiances to our founding fathers, toward our elected officials, toward his parents, toward a belief in a supernatural being, and toward the sovereignty of this nation as a separate entity. It’s up to you as teachers to make all these sick children well – by creating the international child of the future” Dr. Chester M. Pierce, Psychiatrist, address to the Childhood International Education Seminar, 1973
23b. “We have swallowed all manner of poisonous certainties fed us by our parents, our Sunday and day school teachers, our politicians, our priests, our newspapers, and others with a vested interest in controlling us. ‘Thou shalt become as gods, knowing good and evil,’ good and evil with which to keep children under control, with which to impose local and familial and national loyalties and with which to blind children to their glorious intellectual heritage… The results, the inevitable results, are frustration, inferiority, neurosis and inability to enjoy living, to reason clearly or to make a world fit to live in.” Dr. G. Brock Chisholm, President, World Federation of Mental Health
23c. & 16. Teaching school children to read was a “perversion” and high literacy rate bred “the sustaining force behind individualism.” John Dewey, Educational Psychologist
23d. The school curriculum should “…be designed to bend the student to the realities of society, especially by way of vocational education… the curriculum should be designed to promote mental health as an instrument for social progress and a means of altering culture…” Report: Action for Mental Health, 1961
[Go to www.psychQuotes.com for more quotations from psychiatry and psychology.]
- [posted Sept. 29, 2016 – see Blog 0140] This information below is from www.psychQuotes.com
“The actual aims and results of psychiatric and pharmaceutical-promoted forced “mental health” testing and the resulting “necessary treatments” may become more apparent when you examine the statements of the leaders, founders, and theorists of psychiatry and psychology.
“Psychiatry’s Views on Conservatives
“‘In August 2003, the National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) and the National Science Foundation (NSF) announced the results of their $1.2 million taxpayer-funded study. It stated, essentially, that traditionalists are mentally disturbed. Scholars from the Universities of Maryland, California at Berkeley, and Stanford had determined that social conservatives, in particular, suffer from ‘mental rigidity,’ ‘dogmatism,’ and ‘uncertainty avoidance,’ together with associated indicators for mental illness.’ “Source: B.K. Eakman, Chronicles, October 2004, pp. 28-29. “‘Political conservatism as motivated social cognition’ By Jost, John T.; Glaser, Jack; Kruglanski, Arie W.; Sulloway, Frank J. APA Psychological Bulletin, May 2003, Vol 129(3), p 339-375
“Any questions on who they want to drug into being silent and obedient? Don’t think they have a different opinion of liberals or anyone who is outspoken or wants to improve society. Read on for more!
- [posted Sept. 24, 2016]
Speech given to Conservative Party Conference — October 10, 1975 http://www.margaretthatcher.org/document/102777
“A man’s right to work as he will, to spend what he earns, to own property, to have the State as servant and not as master. These are the British inheritance. They are the essence of a free economy. And on that freedom all our other freedoms depend.” – Margaret Thatcher
- [posted Sept. 21, 2016 – see Blog 0136]
A friend recently forwarded this quotation to me:
A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear. ~ Marcus Tullius Cicero (42B.C)
- [posted July 14, 2016] This quoted material is taken from the Curtis Bowers documentary, Agenda 2.
Curtis Bowers is speaking in the quote below:
“An experience we had along the way finally put into place a missing piece of the puzzle. We had a Tea Party group that met monthly at a local community college in Minnesota. We showed the film Agenda, and then afterwards, as I was answering questions, a man stood up.
“He said, ‘I want to congratulate you on your research and how you found all the Socialist-Communist influences that have changed America. My hat’s off to you,’ and I said, ‘Thank you, sir.’
“But then he stopped, and I could tell something was coming. He said, ‘I want to tell you something. I’m a professor at this college. I am a Communist, and we will win, because we’re taking all your children.’ And then he walked out.
“A woman in the front row, who was crying, said, ‘How could he be at our little community college?’ I said, ‘Ma’am, he is in every school in America.’”
- “AGENDA is the most powerful exposé of the communist, socialist, progressive attempt to take over America produced so far.” -Ted Baehr, MovieGuide [http://www.agendadocumentary.com/]
Quote by Curtis Bowers, in his documentary Agenda 2
“I’m Curtis Bowers and I made this film because I hoped that once you saw the facts you would realize what I did after researching this topic… what has happened to America hasn’t been an accident. Now is the time to get involved before the ‘Left’ accomplishes their goal of destroying the greatest country in ALL world history!”
- Quote from Curtis Bowers’ documentary Agenda 2
Agustin Blazquez: “I grew up in Cuba, and I never thought that Cuba would become a Communist country. Many people at that time warned Cuba that what was going on was a Communistic takeover. We would say, “No, that won’t happen here.” No one even dreamed that, and I see the same things repeated here in the United States now. And I feel very uncomfortable about it, because I know what is the end of it. And I know that after a while there will be absolutely nothing that the American people will be able to do. And they will lose everything – everything they own, everything they know, and don’t even think that you will be even safe inside your own house, because you won’t be. They will come and get you wherever you are. They will take your arms. They will take everything, and your way of life, everything, and you will be just a pawn of the state.”
- “Teaching school children to read was a ‘perversion’ and high literacy rate bred ‘the sustaining force behind individualism.’” John Dewey, Educational Psychologist This and many more quotes on the goals of psychiatry and psychology found here.
- [Karen Bracken used these two following quotations in her April 23, 2013 talk about Common Core: Subversive Threat to Education (Track 0074)]
15a. “Give me four years to teach the children and the seeds I have sown will never be uprooted.” Vladimir Lenin — (1870–1924) — founder of the Russian Communist Party, leader of the Bolshevik Revolution and architect and first head of the Soviet state.
15b. “Education should aim at destroying free will so that after pupils are thus schooled, they will be incapable throughout the rest of their lives of thinking or acting otherwise than as their school masters would have wished. The social psychologist of the future will have a number of classes of school children on whom they will try different methods of producing an unshakable conviction that snow is black. When the technique has been perfected, every government that has been in charge of education for more than one generation will be able to control its subject securely without the need of armies or policemen.”
[The above is a Johann Gottlieb Frichte quote (1762 – 1814). He was a teacher and philosopher in Germany — “one of the founding figures of the German Idealism and Kantianism movements in the late 18th and early 19th Centuries.” Note: Karen Bracken added these words to the end of the above quote (see p. 20 of the linked transcript): “because we will be creating a bunch of drones — basically obedient slaves.”]
- [on the Front Page of the Hillsdale College website – June 15, 2016]
“The advancement and diffusion of knowledge is the only guardian of true liberty.” James Madison
[“James Madison was America’s fourth President (1809-1817), made a major contribution to the ratification of the Constitution by writing The Federalist Papers, along with Alexander Hamilton and John Jay. In later years, he was referred to as the ‘Father of the Constitution.’” – link to where these words about Madison are found.]
- “Religion, morality and knowledge being necessary to good government and the happiness of mankind, schools and the means of education shall ever be encouraged.” The Northwest Ordinance 1787
[The Northwest Ordinance of 1787 – “provided a method for admitting new states to the Union from the territory, and listed a bill of rights guaranteed in the territory.” Link here this description and more, including the document.]
- Sadly, due to CCSS [Common Core State Standards] and CBE [Competency-based Education], the time-tested, effective ways of educating our children are rapidly becoming unavailable in most public schools. This is likely one of the major reasons that CCSS – free private schools (such as those educating the children of Bill Gates and Barack Obama) or home schools are experiencing dramatic increases in enrollment. Proven methods of education — teaching by human beings, plus focus on handwriting, classic literature, standard algorithms, and actual content knowledge — instead of skills-training and constant invasive psychological manipulation and assessment, are what already available data shows are effective.
[From: “The Dark Side of Student Data Mining: It’s ineffective and puts children’s privacy at risk” By Karen R. Effrem, MD on June 3, 2016]
- “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.” — Ronald Reagan; 40th president of the U.S. (b. 1911 d. 2004)
- “You Americans are so gullible. No, you won’t accept communism outright, but we’ll keep feeding you small doses of socialism until you’ll finally wake up and find you already have communism. We won’t have to fight you. We’ll so weaken your economy until you’ll fall like overripe fruit into our hands.” — Nikita Khrushchev – 1959
- “To change a free nation into a captive nation of robots and zombies, indoctrinate them with what to think instead of teaching them how to think, while removing all moral absolutes.” — Donna H. Hearne – The Long War: Everything You Need to Know to Win the War! Common Core, page 1. First printing 2015.
- H.L. Mencken wrote in The American Mercury in April 1924 that the aim of public education is not:
“…to fill the young of the species with knowledge and awaken their intelligence… Nothing could be further from the truth. The aim… is simply to reduce as many individuals as possible to the same safe level, to breed and train a standardized citizenry, to put down dissent and originality. That is its aim in the United States… ”
- [This was sent to me from a life-long girlfriend who lives in Evanston, Illinois.]
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle. Worrying does not take away tomorrow’s troubles; it takes away today’s peace. Cherish Yesterday. — Dream Tomorrow. — Love Today. Forgive.
- These words appear on the page preceding the Contents page in the instructional book for teachers, called Teaching as a Subversive Activity:
“Thank God there are no free schools or printing; . . . for learning has brought disobedience and heresy into the world, and printing has divulged them . . . God keep us from both.” Sir William Berkeley Governor of Virginia, d. 1677
Go to blog 0090 in this website, for discussion about this instruction book for teachers (Teaching as a Subversive Activity).
- Some quotations by Whittaker Chambers, a former communist. He testified against Alger Hiss, a fellow communist — and wrote of his life in the book Witness.
5a. “Communism succeeds because most people who support communism aren’t communists.” — Whittaker Chambers (quoted by Jim Simpson in the documentary movie Agenda — by Curtis Bowers)
5b. “It is popular to call it a crisis of the Western world. It is in fact a crisis of the whole world. Communism, which claims to be a solution of the crisis, is itself a symptom and an irritant of the crisis.” — Whittaker Chambers
5c. “I know that I am leaving the winning side for the losing side, but it is better to die on the losing side than to live under Communism.” — Whittaker Chambers
5d. “Experience had taught me that innocence seldom utters outraged shrikes. Guilt does. Innocence is a mighty shield, and the man or woman covered by it, is much more likely to answer calmly: ‘My life is blameless. Look into it, if you like, for you will find nothing.’ That is the tone of innocence.” — Whittaker Chambers
Definition of socialism: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/socialism
1 : any of various economic and political theories advocating collective or governmental ownership and administration of the means of production and distribution of goods
2a : a system of society or group living in which there is no private property b : a system or condition of society in which the means of production are owned and controlled by the state
- Definition of communism: http://www.yourdictionary.com/communism
The definition of communism is a system where all property is public and people work and are given things by the government according to their needs.
An example of communism is the governing system in Cuba where the government controls everything and doles out benefits such as money, health care and food.
- The Naked Communist by W. Cleon Skousen, pp. 53-54 [posted 2016-06-06]
[Note: When W. Cleon Skousen, was a former FBI agent, he studied Communist philosophy with other FBI agents. He originally published his book in 1958.]
“He [Marx] argued that no private individual should get the profits from something which many people were required to produce.”
“Marx and Engles did not believe that wages were adequate compensation for labor performed unless the workers received all the proceeds from the sale of the commodity. Since the hands of the workers produced the commodity, they believed the workers should receive all the commodity was worth. . . in the near future the working class should rise up and seize the factories or means of production and operate them as their own.”
“. . . All wealth is created by the worker. Capital creates nothing . . . “
- The Naked Communist by W. Cleon Skousen, pp. 54-55 [posted 2016-06-06]
“In due time there would be sufficient hatred, resentment and class antagonism to motivate the workers in forming militant battalions to overthrow their oppressors by violence so that the means of production and all private property could be seized by the workers and operated for their own advantage.
“It is at this point that Communists and Socialists take different forks of the road. The Socialists have maintained from the beginning that centralized control of all land and industry can be achieved by peaceful legislation. Marx denounced this as a pipe dream. He held out for revolution. Nevertheless, he was quick to see some advantage in pushing forward any legislation which concentrated greater economic power in the central government. But he did not look upon such minor ‘victories of the Socialist’ as anything more than a psychological softening up for the revolution which was to come.
“Marx was particularly emphatic that this revolution must be completely ruthless to be successful. It must not be a ‘reform’ because reforms always end up by ‘substituting one group of exploiters for another’ and therefore the reformers feel ‘no need to destroy the old state machine; whereas the proletarian revolution removes all groups of exploiters from power and places in power the leader of the toilers and exploited . . . therefore it cannot avoid destroying the old state machine and replacing it by a new one.’” [Quotes in the paragraph above are from “PROBLEMS OF LENINISM,” By Joseph Stalin, pp. 16-17.]